Spring has arrived! It is time to enjoy outdoor activities with family and friends whether it is picnicking, hiking, biking or even reading a book in the shade. But wait not so fast! It is important to double-check if your rental property is ready for spring. Here are some of the main aspects to pay attention to:
Inside the House:
- Evaluate concrete areas such as the foundation, driveways, walkways, and patios and repair cracks and gaps.
- Inspect exterior door hardware and repair any squeaky handles and loose locks.
- Examine exterior wood elements and consider refinishing or sealing.
- Touch up exterior siding and trim with paint.
- Check windows and doors for cracks and gaps. Seal with caulk or weather stripping, replacing if necessary.
- Clean window and door screens.
- Remove leaves and other debris from gutters and downspouts.
- Inspect the roof for missing, loose, or damaged shingles and leaks.
- Examine outdoor light fixtures. Ensure bulbs are working. Paint or replace fixtures if needed.
Out in the Yard:
- Test outdoor water systems such as pipes, faucets, and in-ground sprinkler systems.
- Do a perimeter check of all fencing. Replace any missing or broken slats. Repair any broken posts.
- Evaluate garbage cans. Are lids still functioning properly? Any holes? Replace if needed.
- Inspect mailbox. If standing mailbox, is the post foundation solid? Does it need to be replaced? Does the post need to be repainted?
- Rake up dead leaves and branches. Although you may have done a great job of this in the fall, the winter weather can stir up leaves and break off branches.
- Fertilize lawn, bushes, and trees. Remove dead branches and bushes.
- Check fences and gates for wear and needed replacements.
By taking care of this maintenance list you are making sure your rental property is ready for spring. Therefore, this will help you with tenant retention, assist in getting maximum rental rates and help avoid costlier repairs. Download and print our spring cleaning checklist to help you get started.
Tired of doing it yourself? Real Property Management All-Star provides a thorough evaluation of the rental property’s current condition, provides a list of regular maintenance tasks, and assists with those tasks for clients. Contact us to learn more.
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.